No. 6 Men's Soccer Concludes Trip to New Mexico

Photo courtesy of Harvard Athletic Communications

Blog 1
Blog 2
Blog 3

Day 4/5

Sunday and it’s our last day in New Mexico. Or so we thought. Pregame preparations began with a short walk around the hotel, some breakfast and then a short meeting regarding our play and our opponents, the University of New Mexico Lobos. A very hard working team, we new the match against the Lobos would be a grueling one.
We arrived at the field a little over an hour before kickoff and started warm ups as always, but had a short talk with Coach Junot. Coach Junot was very fired up to play his former school and that fire seemed to rub off on us. Our warm ups were very sharp which led right into a strong first half. We possessed the ball well, controlled the game, but failed to capitalize on any of our chances up front, which seemed to be the story of the weekend.
The second half was much of the same, neither team able to find a way to put the ball in the net. At the end of regulation, still 0-0, we headed into Overtime. The 20 minutes of Overtime would reflect the 90 minutes of regulation; strong play by both sides with neither being able to score. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. The game also ended much later than we expected.
Finishing the game around 2:45, our 3:40 flight out of Albuquerque looked like it was cutting it too close. It was. Long story short, we missed our flight. With no way out of Albuquerque until a Monday morning 6:00 a.m. flight, it was off to our ex-coach Jeff Rowland’s parent’s house to watch some football and relax after a long trip.
It was an early start to Monday morning with a 4:00 a.m. wake up time to make sure we didn’t miss our flight once again. Everyone was pretty tired so it was a pretty eventful pair of flights filled with a lot of sleeping and a little bit of homework. I think I speak for all of us when I say I’m excited to get back to Cambridge, excited to sleep in my own bed, and looking forward to our next game against Stony Brook
-Wolf and Chi