loki/tinymce : /sports/msoc/2010-11/releases/20100904_Stanford_Recap : 20100904 Stanford Recap : y4vqu0msh5en8vc3



Rogers’ Goal in 80th Minute Lifts No. 10 Harvard to 2-1 Win Over No. 13 Stanford

Related URL : /sports/msoc/2010-11/StanfordHighlights.flv

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Sophomore Brian Rogers found the back of the net in the 80th minute to help the No. 10 Harvard men's soccer team to a 2-1 win against No. 13 Stanford in the first men's soccer game played at the Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium. 

With the victory, Carl Junot, the Virginia B. and James O. Welch '52 Head Coach for Harvard Men's Soccer, earned his first win of his career.  Harvard begins its season 1-0, while Stanford falls to 0-2.

Before 3,221 fans Saturday evening, the Crimson outshot the Cardinal, 9-4, in the first half, but an own goal by Stanford gave Harvard a 1-0 lead at 19:07.  Jamie Rees controlled the ball down the right side and sent a cross pass into the box, attempting to find Alex Chi, who was cutting down the middle.  Shaun Culver, a Stanford defender, tried to cut the pass off and knock it out of play, but instead he sent the ball directly into the back of the net for an own goal. 

In the second half, the Cardinal managed to tie the game off a free kick from 25 yards out by Bobby Warshaw at 50:36.  Warshaw took the kick from the right side and managed to bend the ball past a diving Austin Harms to knot the game at 1-1.

With just under 11 minutes remaining in the contest, Jaren LaGreca stole the ball deep in the Harvard zone and made an outlet pass to midfield, finding Rogers.  The forward and reigning Ivy League Rookie of the Year took the pass and ran down the center, eluding two defenders, before sliding the ball toward the left side of the net.  Stanford goalkeeper Jason Dodson dove to his right, but Rogers placed the ball perfectly, putting Harvard ahead for good, 2-1.

In the final moments, Stanford earned a corner kick, and the Cardinal played the ball into the box. With two second remaining, several Stanford players tried to head the ball on goal, but the ball sailed wide as time expired.  Harvard held the final count in shots, 20-15, but Stanford led in corner kicks, 5-3.

Harvard will head to the road to visit Massachusetts Monday, Sept. 6 at 3 p.m. The game will be shown live in Western Massachusetts on CBS 3 Springfield.