ACADEMIC INTEGRATION COMPETITIVE EXCELLENCE

IN DIVISION I ATHLETICS

 

Akpan Among Nominees for Soccer News Net Player of the Year

Pictured: Andre Akpan, the 2009 Ivy League Player of the Year, is tied for first in school history with 47 career goals.
Photo courtesy: David Silverman Photography


Vote for Akpan!

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- One of the most prolific players in program history, Andre Akpan of the Harvard men's soccer team has been nominated for Soccer News Net Player of the Year, it was recently announced.

Akpan, the Ivy League Player of the Year, has received several awards following the conclusion of the regular season.  He was unanimously selected to the All-Ivy League first team and garnered a nod to the Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Year, earning a spot on the second team.  Akpan is Harvard's all-time leading scorer with 127 points and is first in school history with 33 assists.  He is currently tied with Chris Ohiri '64 for first in program history with 47 career tallies.

A senior forward from Grand Prairie, Texas, Akpan leads Harvard with 12 goals, including four game-winners, and 30 points this season.  A co-captain of the Crimson, he is also tied for the team lead with six assists.  A two-time semifinalist for the Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy, given to the nation's top soccer player, Akpan had three multiple goal efforts this fall and was honored as the Ivy League Player of the Week twice.

Akpan. who scored a goal in Harvard's 3-0 win over Maryland in the second round of the NCAA tournament, and the Crimson host Maryland, the defending national champion, in a third-round matchup Sunday at 1 p.m.

Fans can now vote for Akpan for Soccer News Net Player of the Year. Fan voting counts for 40 percent of the total votes counted in selecting the national and regional winners. The remaining 60 percent of the vote will be cast by the editorial staffs of the six regional websites (Big Apple Soccer, ChicagoLand Soccer News, LA Soccer News, New England Soccer News, Philly Soccer News and Dallas Soccer News). Voting continues until Dec. 19.

Fans can vote for Akpan here.