Back-and-Forth Men’s Hockey Game Goes to St. Lawrence, 4-3

Ford's goal was the fourth by a Harvard defenseman this weekend (photo courtesy Steve Babineau).

CANTON, N.Y.—Chris Martin scored twice and Gunnar Hughes broke a third-period tie to lift St. Lawrence to a 4-3 win against the Harvard men's hockey team Saturday night at Appleton Arena.

Danny Biega registered a goal and an assist, while fellow defensemen Patrick McNally and Dan Ford also scored for Harvard (2-3-1, 2-3-1 ECAC Hockey). Steve Michalek made 28 saves. The Crimson held a 33-32 edge in shots, but Matt Weninger stopped 30 of those chances to backstop the Saints (4-6-0, 4-2-0) to a win.

The winning tally came with the score tied at 3-3 at 11:52 of the third period. Hughes snuck a long shot through traffic and off a body in front with Patrick Raleyand Justin Bruckel assisting.

The teams converted the first four power plays of the game. The Crimson finished 2 for 3 with the man advantage, and St. Lawrence was 2 for 4. McNally scored first, barely five minutes into the game, on the power play. He picked up the puck from Biega in his own end, carried to the SLU zone, weaved through the defense and beat Weninger with a backhand shot.

Martin matched McNally's tally with a score on the Saints' first power play, putting away the rebound of a George Hughes shot at 7:19 of the opening period. St. Lawrence took the lead when Jacob Drewiske scored a power-play marker at the 14:49 mark. The Saints were whistled for a penalty in the final minute of the frame, but Weninger stopped a shot from Alex Killorn just before the buzzer to take the 2-1 advantage to the intermission.

Biega erased the deficit just 36 seconds into the second period, before the carryover power play had elapsed. He blasted a one-timer from the point past Weninger off a pass from Killorn, who got the puck from Marshall Everson.

Michalek kept the game tied with a big save on a two-on-one chance for Greg Carey, but the Saints got back the lead just past the game's midway point on Martin's shot from the left side. Both teams killed power plays in the second half of the period, including a three-minute kill by St. Lawrence after a George Hughes spearing major. The Saints held a 3-2 lead after two periods.

Ford tied the score at 8:20 of the third period, taking a pass across the point from Ryan Grimshaw and wristing a high shot through a Daniel Moriarty screen and past Weninger to conclude a strong shift by the line of Moriarty, Tommy O'Regan and Mike Seward in the SLU end. Seward passed to Grimshaw at the point to get the scoring play going and record his first collegiate point.

The Crimson continued to play deep in the SLU end after scoring, but the Saints regained the momentum on the Gunnar Hughes goal. St. Lawrence survived several late faceoffs in its own end, with Weninger robbing Killorn of a tying goal with a glove save.