Crimson Men's Hockey Rallies to 5-4 Beanpot Win Against No. 15 BU

Crimson Men's Hockey Rallies to 5-4 Beanpot Win Against No. 15 BU

Del Mauro (right) and Morrison celebrate the winning goal (photo courtesy Steve Babineau).

News Links

BOSTON—Danny Biega and Michael Del Mauro scored goals late in the third period to lift the Harvard men's hockey team to a 5-4, come-from-behind win against No. 15 Boston University in the consolation game of the 59th Beanpot tournament Monday evening at TD Garden.

Alex Chiasson scored his second goal of the game to give the Terriers (14-9-7) the lead with six minutes to play, but Biega cranked a point shot through traffic to knot the score at 4-4 less than two minutes later. Two more minutes had not passed when Peter Starrett passed across the offensive zone to Conor Morrison. Del Mauro got to the left post and punched in the rebound of Morrison's one-timer for the go-ahead tally with 2:08 on the clock (5-18-1).

BU applied heavy pressure the rest of the way, but goaltender Ryan Carroll made a glove save, his 45th stop of the game, on Garrett Noonan's slap shot with six seconds left to send BU to its first fourth-place Beanpot finish since 1980. Harvard placed third for the 14th time.

Harvard scored three goals—two off the stick of Alex Killorn—in 73 seconds to come back from a goal down in the second period. BU tied the score with two quick goals later in the period before going on top in the third.

Biega and Alex Fallstrom assisted on both Killorn goals, while Starrett helped out on each of the final two scores. Ryan Grimshaw also scored to aid in the Crimson's first Beanpot win against BU since 1994. BU goalie Kieran Millan made 24 saves. 

The Terriers won the special-teams battle in an opening period that featured seven penalties. Chiasson scored the only goal of the period, banging in the puck from a crowd in front after Carroll stopped the initial BU chance. The Terriers killed a two-man disadvantage lasting 47 seconds and outshot Harvard, 11-10, in the period.

BU started the second period on a five-minute power play. Harvard not only killed the penalty but scored a goal of its own. After Biega passed ahead to Fallstrom, the winger carried deep into the BU zone on the right side. Fallstrom then slipped a pass back to a trailing Killorn, who tied the score at 1-1.

Grimshaw gave Harvard the lead just 54 seconds later. Colin Moore got the puck from Luke Greiner and brought it down the left side of the ice. He picked out Grimshaw joining the play, and the junior defenseman tucked a shot from the slot inside the left post. The scoreline on Harvard's third goal matched that of its first. Killorn collected a Fallstrom dump in the left corner and banked a bad-angle shot off Millan and into the net at 5:36 of the second period, 21 seconds after Grimshaw's tally.

The Terriers erased the lead almost as quickly as the Crimson built it. Garrett Noonan struck on a power play at 12:24 and assisted Adam Clendening just 43 seconds later, knotting the score at 3-3. BU held an 18-10 shots edge in the frame.

BU outshot Harvard by a 20-9 count in the third period, but it was the Crimson that scored the decisive pair of goals. The Terriers were 3 for 6 with the man advantage, while Harvard was held scoreless in four power plays.

The teams will face off next season in the 60th Beanpot semifinals.