CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Welcome to the new-look GoCrimson.com! The Department of Harvard Athletics, in conjunction with website host PrestoSports, unveiled a newly redesigned site on June 29, 2012.
The new GoCrimson.com offers fans a cleaner look, upgraded multimedia viewers and user-friendly navigation including a focus on portability and multi-platform access for tablets and mobile phones.
The redesign has been a 10-month process that started with
external usability testing last August, extended to internal focus
groups and involved a department committee headed by the athletic
The redesign has been a concerted effort to make visiting GoCrimson.com a better viewing experience for prospective and current student-athletes, fans, community members, alumni, coaches and media.
GoCrimson.com will continue to provide sport schedules and results, videos, features, rosters, game previews and recaps, statistics, online guides, player and coach bios and historical information for the nation’s largest intercollegiate athletic program with 41 varsity sports.
Additionally, some of the highlights coming to the new
• The masthead and footer will both serve as “sticky bars” on traditional computers and laptops in order to keep the navigation right with the user as they scroll. The much narrower navigation bars provide easy access to features like tickets, fan zones, live stats, social media and the all-access media player. These features will not exist on tablets and mobile phones in order to maximize the smaller screen sizes and improve the user experience.
• Wider photos with the large lead story on the front page and in various sections of the site including each team’s landing page.
• Direct links to box scores, highlights and secondary links within the lead story viewer as a direct result of viewer input for quick access to specific material.
• Wide format video players built directly into the feature
rotational section with specific sections for video
• Expanded the front page and sports page top headlines from five to eight in the top rotation.
• The top stories, headlines, video and schedule tabs on the main page and at the top of each sports page provide direct links to show the latest offerings in those sections.
• The graphics embedded in the footer provide direct links to Harvard's Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages as well as live audio, video and statistics pages with other links to photo stores, team shops, facility directions and support pages.
• The scrolling horizontal slide-bar provides quick and unobtrusive links to special promotions and highlighted content.
• A prominent “Ticket” menu at the top of every page will provide one-step online ordering for Crimson fans.
Harvard was the first Division I athletic program in the country to partner with PrestoSports and is now entering its fourth year with the provider.
We sincerely thank those members of our community that have shared their thoughts on what we believe to be one of the nation’s top collegiate websites and hope that you, the user, enjoys your surfing experience. Go Crimson!